Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Human Canvas Does NOT Practice Santeria...


...NOR does it have a crystal ball.

And that's as far as I'm going on that one, 
other than to go on the record wondering 
if I should have typed it out as sung, 
rather than this faux-proper 
kinda thing.

Anyway, you got it or you didn't.


Point of this one, 
I suppose, is gathering together 
an image that's found some repetition, 
but only to a certain extent. I actually DO 
draw a lot of suns, but they end up looking something 
like what's pictured below. A sort of cartooned, 
Japanese block print style? 
Kinda?


That's what happens on paper, anyway. 
The few times I've drawn a sun on a PERSON
Certainly more of a flow involved, but (at first) it 
wasn't a matter of manipulating the medium, 
only a stylistic representation. 

The first sun I put on a person 
was actually in the middle of Istanbul. 
Ha and I had met some 20 minutes or so 
earlier, and talked about the fact that someday, 
maybe, she might like a tattoo. When and if it 
happened, she wanted an old-fashioned 
kinda sun. 

Like what you might 
find on an old map or on a horoscope.


She was pleased with the result - as was I...


...As was Heena, 
who was hesitant at first, 
but by the time Ha was finished, 
had worked up something SHE'D like. 
A sort of whirling dervish figure.


Only a few more suns 
in the history of the Human Canvas. 
Kelly, below, got something a bit more akin 
to what we saw in the pen and ink up above. 
At this point I was just STARTING to 
work with blending.


Pictured below is 
a sun(set) that actually HALTED a session. 
One that never saw completion. 



And pictured below 
we get something similar to 
Ha's large back-piece, but now working 
with blends, rather than simply "stacking" colors 
next to each other.

Also pictured below is the 98th, 99th, 
and the 100th drawing.



Almost up to date now, 
this next one is working now more 
with a blend AND fade. In the middle of 
Autism Awareness month, this was simply a 
few puzzle pieces, looking like three people holding 
hands (perhaps?). I have to say too that I really 
didn't like how this one turned out... 

UNTIL I added that sun. 


Now I LOVE it! 
You can't see it too well, 
but pictured below is the first (documented) 
Human Canvas session. Very impromptu, 
it turned out to be the SON.

His little hips wiggled when she flexed. 
Cool.




So now to the sun 
we saw at the beginning of this post. 
A week and a half prior, I had gone over to 
Dave's house to draw a puzzle piece on him as 
well, and he ended up getting something 
to go with his T-shirt.




A bit of a better view of the T...


...And his hoodie as well.


So on this night, 
he came over wearing a Sublime shirt. 
I'd never drawn one of the Sublime Suns before, 
but REALLY thought it'd be a cool one to try. 

At first I put this post 
together as a gathering of past 
suns because I didn't have any of the 
step by step photos. Thankfully Dave took 
one with his cell phone. The key to drawing 
this'n is just breaking it down. Really - it's just 
a mushroom with a couple eyes 
and some squiggles. 

Blacken around it, add some stylistic flames...


...And there we go. That's what I got.


Sublime.



I REALLY liked how this one turned out, 
and after powdering it, SEVERAL folks thought 
it was real. Nice. 
I like that.


Dave liked it too.


And now here's to hoping you did as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment