Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Human Canvas - Smaugy in Riverside

So...

We were visiting Alex and a few other friends in Rivierside recently. 

Okay. NOT so recently. This was a couple of months ago by now. There's kinda been a lot going on. I've got a LOT of talking about Arlo Guthrie coming up. Got to interview him, get it on the air, then see him perform and speak to him in person a few nights later.

Actually quite a few interviews to talk about...Stanley Clarke, John Jorgenson, Jules Day, which also aired recently...

But Alex. Remember Alex? It's a song about Alex. (blatant Alice's Restaurant reference)

The cool thing about this session was that Alex knew I was joining my wife in the visit, knew about the Human Canvas series,  and wanted to be a canvas.

Actually though, she was too shy to ask. (I'll remove this fact if she asks) Everyone had eaten, we were hanging out by the fire pit, and Ricky asked, "Hey Dave, ya have your markers on you?", and pointed to Alex...quietly off to the side.

Boom! Off to the living room!


I'd been working on dragons recently...and castles...and a few shots at Marvin the Martian. These have been practice sessions for another large back-piece in the future.

You know who you are.


In the meantime...


...here be dragons.


I had a request for a unicorn dragon, actually.














So here's another case of getting to a point where I ought to be done...


...right?


But noooooo. I'd done a drawing recently (on paper) that I called "Smaugy on Mars".


So, with red markers in hand, this was my opportunity to do a Human Canvas version.





Really - just providing a landscape...a place for this dragon to be.


But it was Red.


You know...Mars.


And having put my initials on it...


...done!


So, meet Alex.


I've done better dragons than this...on paper, anyway...and would like another session with her.

I won't be too shy to ask.

3 comments:

  1. WOW that is a serious dragon. you are right i reach a point where I'm like WOW that is cool but I keep scrolling and you are barely getting started!! well done. If you ever do Marvin the Martian, you must post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounded like a hint in there........nicely done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THE BUTTERFLIES ON THE PH.D GAL.
    PRACTICE ON ANGELS..
    BIG HUG.
    PICKLE

    ReplyDelete