Friday, April 27, 2012

The Human Canvas - The Importance of Being Sharpied

I recently decided to cancel my plans
of going to LA to see Val Kilmer in his one-man
Mark Twain show, and instead go a community theatre production of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. I'm a big val Kilmer AND Mark Twain fan, but
REALLY wanted to see this effort of a friend.

And by the way, some of the best theatre
I've ever seen has been AT the community theatre
level, and one of most BORING shows I've ever seen - was
on Broadway. Now you don't HAVE to be some sort of English lit/theatre geek to enjoy this play (though it don't hurt), but this closing night turned out to be the BEST version of Earnest I've ever seen, or worked on. Yvonne and the cast were able to find humor in places normally glossed over, and make what was already funny - hilarious!


After the show, several of us had an impromptu
gathering. I ended up doing a few Canvases this evening,
for which I was thankful. The above photo is the third piece done this night. It started though, with someone else.
Yvonne - the director of the show. I WAS at their house
after all.

Not too many step-by -step pics on this one. 
It was fairly basic. Yvonne was wanting to experiment with a tattoo idea. Some wings on her ankles.


Only a couple layers of color before being done.


The above shot is better I suppose, but I rather like this one with Hendrix standing in the foreground.


On then to the next ankle...


And a stab at another style of wing.


I like where I was going with this one, but I don't feel like 
it quite got there. We'll be hitting this again.


So on one of the recent sessions prior to this, 
it was Willow - the cat - occupying the attention of the canvas. Remember this? Link to it HERE.


And this time?


Hendrix - the dog - again.


While I enjoyed playing around with the wing idea, 
and definitely want to revisit it, I think this next piece ended 
up being the best of the night.

Meet Sam.


Sam was a wonderful canvas, as anxious as I was 
for another sitting...



And while this session was just one week into April...


Sam's already moved from the area.
So I'm QUITE happy to have gotten this one in.
But I KNOW that San Jacinto area theatre is gonna miss her.


And while there were few step by step 
shots on the three previous pieces this evening... 

There were NO step by steps on the last piece I'd do. 

But it was late. I mean... it - was - LATE. I mean - 
There WERE still 8 or so people there. It's not like I was 
the guy on the floor drawing on people, keeping everyone from going to bed. more accurately, I was the guy on the floor 
drawing on people, keeping everyone from going to 
Denny's. It really all worked out well though, as 
this got Sean to makin' some mighty fine 
breakfast burritos.

MIGHTY fine!

This allowed me to wrap up the last piece, 
another first stab at one of Lewis Carroll's characters. 
Someday we ARE gonna see a BUNCH of 'em assembled at 
the same time. Someday. 

Meantime...


Thanks Sam, Yvonne, and - to make the list short - 
EVERYONE who was a part of Inland Stage Company's 
The Importance of Being Earnest. 

Once again - the best take I've seen on this yet!

And there's been some wonderful Human Canvas sessions since these, and I'm anxious to post. 

So please check back. And there are also the tabs near the top of the page which show the beginnings of all this.

See ya soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment