Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Smooth Jazz - in defense?

In defense of the musicians…but not the music, per se:

My wife was told by a friend, "Ah, smooth jazz early in the morning.” (I paraphrase)Technically speaking – we had it on really loud the night before while I was painting the kitchen. Priya was only making people AWARE of it the next morning, posting a link to a video OF it.

Thing was – it wasn’t “Smooth Jazz”. We’re talkin’ Compared to What?, via Les McCann and Eddie Harris (Montreux 1969). I was asked, “Um, Compared to What’s not Smooth Jazz – right?” (I’d had a relaxing morning up until that point.) She didn’t really think it fell into that category, but – better check, when accused. So this led to quite a discussion, trying to define this - this Smooth Jazz.

Smooth Jazz is a marketing ploy – a branding gimmick. That’s how it started out, anyway. It’s grown to become a format, though more and more stations are starting to veer away from it. With the format, it’s become a genre.  Yeah. NOT the other way around. What we’re really talking about is the lighter side of contemporary jazz. That’s what it was – though there has continued to be a synthesis and expansion.

Smooth Jazz as a type of music – Wikipedia says it’s also known as contemporary jazz. True enough that Smooth Jazz may be contemporary jazz, but contemporary jazz is not necessarily Smooth Jazz. Clear enough? The early roots of Smooth Jazz have jazz artists covering pop tunes, in an attempt to find some crossover success. This started to be blended in with 101 Strings, or other light, non-threatening (elevator) music which could be found on the easy-listening stations. Soon enough, a few stations took this, and the lighter side of some incredible fusion or other contemporary jazz groups, and tacked the word smooth in front. Some of the early groups? The Rippingtons, Fourplay, Spyro Gyra, The Yellowjackets, and Pieces of a Dream, among others. Later, folks like Norman Brown (one of my favorites), Candy Dulfer, Dave Koz, Boney James, and even Chick Corea were to be included. Mind you – these are not Smooth Jazz musicians per se, but rather musicians who have some of their music (often, the lighter, gentle side) played on Smooth Jazz stations. 

I’m rather thankful that the two Smooth Jazz stations  around where I live incorporate some funk, groove, and R&B as well. They’re good stations (The Wave, out of LA, and KJJZ in Palm Springs). I’m also thankful that some of the jazz festivals nearby, while occasionally branded as “Smooth”, have had some top talent on their bill. Two in particular – Grooves in the Grove, at La Quinta Resort and Spa in Palm Springs, and the Champagne Jazz Series put on by the Thornton Winery in Temecula. The latter was rather pricey, but again – top line performers.

Anybody who’s ever known me (in the context of jazz on the air) would be quite surprised to hear of me defending Smooth Jazz. Fine. I’m not. I’m simply defining it. I am however defending many of the players – and some of the stations – who are branded as such.

2 comments:

  1. I always thought of Chet Baker, et.al. as smooth jazz. Am I incorrect? I was hungover most of the time in Jazz History class, so it is probable. I love Chet Baker though, so I always thought that I liked smooth jazz. Now I am not so sure . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. Wait. Wait. It's coming to me. Chet was "cool jazz." I like cool jazz. Screw smooth jazz. Like Chet, I have apparently done to many drugs . . . .

    ReplyDelete