Saturday, March 3, 2012

I CAN'T Seem To Draw Dragons Facing Toward The Right!

Well...Except for this one, maybe.


Don't mean to sound defeatist. I guess it's not so much that I CAN'T...I just tend NOT to. 

Maybe it's a right-handed thing.

I've done two Human Canvas sessions with dragons. The first was in Riverside, California.


The next was a couple months later...in Istanbul. 
This one was the third of THREE done one night at Arsah. THE place to go, if you find yourself in Istanbul. 

Seriously.


 I was, of course, happy to have done these sessions...
...but I think my best dragons, so far, have been on paper.

Not this one. This next one was an experiment in a much more loose style than I tend to use. 

Truly - holding la pluma very loosely... and see what happens. 


So, going back to something more in the style of how I tend to work...but staying with the whole Bilbo and Smaug thing that came out of the first one...


Beyond the whole Hobbit thing, I've been toying around with an idea for a future Human Canvas session.


...One which will incorporate a dragon, a castle...PROBABLY some subtle theatre masks thrown in...and DEFINITELY Marvin the Martian. 


I'm not so proud of this first one, but I'm trying to include some of the IDEA sketches - no matter how rough.







Oh yeah. Finally. One with Marvin.
I JUSsssssst gave this to the person who inspired it.


What really struck me, besides noticing that they ALL faced left...







 ...is how SIMILAR some of them turned out.
Drawn several days apart...without referencing the other(s). These next two are the most glaring examples.



Hell, even when I departed from dragons (for like - a day)... 
...Even THIS guy ended up looking' left.


Though, truth be told, 
this wasn't my concern at the time of this drawing. 
I remember simply wanting to incorporate more of the page.


So...
...Closing then with the same pic we opened with. 
The ONE dragon facing t'other way. 
Some day...SOME day...
...which way the dragon faces might actually matter. Meantime...just me noticing a few tendencies, once I realized there were enough of one certain type of drawing to warrant its own category.


And I'm SURE that whoever made this rug (again, from Arsah, in Istanbul...

...I'm sure they intended for SO much more than to have dragons sand fish strewn all over.

But at least I vacuumed.

But HEY!
Here's that all important message!
I think I'm JUST about to draw a dragon 
facing t'OTHER way!
Get ready Shaelyn.

This along with another celebrating 
you being the canvas getting the 100th drawing!







No comments:

Post a Comment