Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Human Canvas - Jade Bennett, Singer AND Canvas!

So...once again...I have yet to write about some recent interviews...Arlo Guthrie, Stanley Clarke (again), Shirley Jones and Marty Ingels. Some great performances and/or venues to talk about...Jules Day, Kulak's Woodshed, 5th street Jazz...so much more...

Meantime...The Human Canvas series picks up again. Of course it did. I had jusssst updated the tab for Human Canvas II -2011 to include everything to date.

So meet Jade.


Sunday nights often find me at The Vault. This is a place in Redlands which always has good drinks - and often has good, live music. Take for example...ohhh...Sunday nights.



That's The Hometown Get-Down - most Sunday nights, 7-11, at The Vault Martini Bar in Redlands, California. Just sayin'. 

Click HERE for a recent write-up.

Left to right: Gino Matteo, Trevor Monks, James Breker, and Quinton Hufferd. Most nights - IF you're lucky - Jade Bennett will sit in for a few tunes. 

Gino sure don' mind!


Jade is a vocalist who combines sultry, smokey-bar blues with just a bit of rasp and a whole lotta power! She's inked up, but does have SOME room left. Um, right. Her left arm is tatted up, but the right one was empty...I saw it as available.


I do this sometimes. Really. If you...you, reading this...if you ever find me staring, I'm (possibly) not being rude, per se...let's just say it's an art thing.


So this one was a bit of an experiment - again. I've played around with an Alice in Wonderland theme...but I always get it wrong. The THEMES are there...but the order of appearance is messed up.

Link HERE for a Human Canvas example.

But back to Jade. At some point in the near future, we're going to work on a much larger Alice in Wonderland piece. Tonight...at The Vault...a first stab at the Queen of Hearts.


Hadn't really decided...until just a moment before.


Which means I hadn't really TRIED to represent this character before.



Next time - several things to do differently. I like the idea of doing a session in a bar...club...party...whatever. HOWEVER - lights are low, and ya end up with lines that aren't quite as clean as they could be...some areas which aren't as solid...

For example - these next 3 pics came from a session in the middle of a disco during a  Dr. Who convention in Los Angeles (2010).




But I have to admit - I like the audience. This goes beyond mere narcissism. A bit, anyway. Anyone watching is a potential canvas. I need to have some "David Fleming Arts" business cards made up - though it can never hurt to keep handing out KVCR cards. Especially during fundraising times.


Having turned out WAY larger than originally intended, I added a bit to the bottom...

...and called it done.


We've talked about another shot at this. I KNOW I can do a better Queen of Hearts...and want to add a bunch more from Wonderland.

Thanks Jade. 'Til next time.

And to see the start of all these adventures, click HERE, or go to the tab for "The Human Canvas - the beginning" near the top of the page. The adventures continue with "The Human Canvas II - 2011", or with a click HERE.

Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment